Deemed to be one of the leading Cru Bourgeois Supérieur wines of the 19th century, a status retained today, Lamothe-Bergeron has always been a benchmark Haut-Médoc wine.
Our estate’s winemaking history began with Jacques de Bergeron – the enlightened scientist acquired the estate in 1773. He was interested in anything relating to nature and agronomy: fertilizer, exotic trees, acacia, insects, and the list goes on.
He was also passionate about growing vines, and this was a place where he could conduct his experiments. He published a study on ways of grafting vines in Bordeaux which would eventually give rise to the Bergeron method, a method which was still being used in the early 20th century.
The estate remained in the Bergeron family until the 1850s, but it was not until it was acquired by Mr d’Armana that Lamothe became Lamothe-Bergeron, in order to take advantage of the prestige of a historic name. Mr d’Armana’s main achievement was to construct the current Chateau, completed in 1868.
The Chateau became the property of a trading house in the early 1970s, after which the vineyards were restructured and the vine population rebalanced. The 1980s were marked by renovations to the winery facilities and barrel cellars. Crédit Agricole continued to demand a high level of excellence during the 2000s.
In 2009, the H. Mounier and Hardy Cognac Houses acquired the estate with great and wonderful ambitions. In 2015, the chateau was fully restored after 18 months of work.